2012年2月10日金曜日

How Do Write Character Outline

how do write character outline

Paws, Fangs, & Smiles: Do You Character Profile?

One of the most difficult tasks I face as a writer is forgetting who I'm trying to write about. I know, that makes me sound senile, but it's true! I remember the personality, and what happens with that character, but it's difficult for me to remember their physical traits.

More often than not, my main characters will start off with black hair, and end with red. They'll have a tattoo in the beginning that never ever comes up again. And from beginning to end, their eyes will hit the entire range of the color spectrum.
Movie Outline 3
Learn more
If you were to read the character description in the beginning, and try again at the end, it would seem like two entirely different people with the same personality.

My solution? A character profile.

I make a new one for each story idea, since each story will need certain traits listed. For instance, if I'm writing a YA Science Fiction story about various aliens living on one planet it might look something like this:

Age:

Height:

Race Name:

Skin Color:

Skin Type:

Special Markings:

Number of Hands:

Number of Eyes:

Hair Type:

Hair Color:

Special Features:

Etc.


How to Write a Damn Good Mystery: A Practical Step-by-Step Guide from Inspiration to Finished Manuscript
Learn more
James N. Frey

And if I were writing about normal humans with normal features it would be more limited to basics: hair color, eye color, height, weight, skin tone, special markings, age, full name, birthplace, birth date. Most of the time my characters have seven pages worth of profiles, with everything from the basics to a characters fears, and likes and dislikes. Before I'm done I even have my main characters favorite movie documented.

Before I'm done my characters are as real to me as actual people and it helps me keep my stories straight.



These are our most popular posts: how do write character outline

Have Novel, Will Edit: Character Profile - Romy Farrington

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to Facebook. Labels: adventure, blogging, character profile, characters, femme fatale, love story, romance, romance novel, Romy Farrington, The Treasure Hunters Lady, writing ... read more

Revved up and Writing to Go!

OUTLINING — PHASE ONE. This is where I lay out the bones to the story. Its an overview or a crime roadmap. For many writers this would be their outline before they jump into the writing aspect and create the story. Character Profiles: I spend time preparing each of the main characters and supporting characters from their physical appearances to their deepest, darkest secrets creating their individual stories. Its similar to working the beginning stages of a profile and ... read more

How to write character analysis paper

If you have to write a character analysis paper in this semester and you have no clue from where to start looking for help then we suggest you give a thorough read to this especially prepared how to write a character analysis ... read more

How to Write a Character Profile Sheet

Developing a profile sheet for each of the major characters in a short story or novel will help you keep them in character as you write your story or novel. read more

Related Posts



0 コメント:

コメントを投稿